Extraordinary Food is everywhere in Maine
Recommendations for the best places to eat in Maine
You know a region's time has come when the New York Times writes articles like this about it.
I could go on and on about the great places to eat within a 30-40 minute drive of the house, but the best is for you to see for yourself. All I've done is group them into how far they are, so you know exactly how much time it will take you before you find yourself in front of a plate you can't refuse.
Within a 10 Minute Drive of Washington Pond
- Morse's Sauerkraut: Rt 220 on the way to Waldoboro - Rueben's of course, but an incredible array of meats, cheeses, etc., lots of goodies from Europe, to take home.
- Sweet Season Farm and Cafe
- Common House of Pizza (Union)
Within a 20 Minute Drive of Washington Pond
- Moody's Diner (Waldoboro): Go for pie. It's a Maine classic.
Within a 35 Minute Drive of Washington Pond (Rockland, Camden, Gardner)
- Waterfront (Camden)
- The Landings Restaurant (Rockland)
- Primo (Rockland): Not inexepensive, but food, service, place always superb. They grow many of their seasonal veggies on the grounds, source local meats and fish, etc. Chef is James Beard winner. Reservations are a good idea, but they have one area and a bar for walk-ins. Dinner only.
- Cafe Miranda (Rockland)
- Amalfi (Rockland)
- Graffam Brothers Seafood Market (for Lobster Rolls) (Rockport - next to Rockland)
- A-1 Diner (Gardiner): In an old dining car that they may have resurrected. A1 mixes new creations with old standbys, at reasonable prices, so that locals and visitors are happy. Cash only, but a bank/ATM is close by.
Within a 45 Minute Drive of Washington Pond (Belfast, Damariscotta)
Portland Destinations (1 hour and 10 minutes from the house)
- Fore Street Restaurant
- Flatbread Pizza Company
- Eventide Oyster Co.
- Central Provisions
- Timber Steakhouse & Rotisserie
- Slab Sicilian Street Food
- Blue Rooster Food Co.
Bangor Destinations (1 hour 30 minutes from the house)
Bar Harbor Destinations (2 hours from the house)
Augusta Destinations (35 minutes from the house)
- The Red Barn: They make a seafood stew, lobster stew plus haddock, scallops, that is incredible.
- Rooster's Roadhouse in Bethel (2 hours)
- Joshua's Restaurant & Tavern in Brunswick (1 hour 22 minutes)
- Bintliff's in Ogunquit (2 hours)
- Jake's Seafood in Moody/Wells (2 hours)
Lobster Pounds - Region Wide (vote for your favorites!)
Coffee, Tea and Thee
Every vacation should involve quiet mornings sipping cups made worthy with caffeine.
Made in Maine
Great, locally sourced products to use in your cooking, or simply indulge in.
Graffam Brothers Seafood Market